Monday, August 22, 2011

Fight against cancer? Or is it?

As a person living with cancer, I can tell the world, it is not a battle, or a fight! It is a life with cancer. Life out of comfort zone, greatly, way out!
Battle is negative, so is fight. Life is not, or at least, it shouldn't be. Life is beautiful, and we shouldn't give cancer the power to change that.
Cancer is a disease. It is a state you are in either temporarly, short term, long term or forever.

I can't talk in the name of all, but I can tell you I am not in the fight nor a battle against it.
I accept the disease, I am actively involved in managing it, hopefully getting rid of it in the nearest possible future, but I am not fighting. No, I am not being hostile or angry. In fact, I am quite opposite. I am learning to be and stay as positive as possible. And I am doing it with love.

I do get slightly annoyed when people describe someone dying of cancer as 'losing the battle'. What does that mean? Is he / she a loser?

I like to think it is a choice of each individual to accept it or not, making decisions on life or death. Consciously or subconsciously.

Cancer is an extremly difficult and complex, multifactorial disease. When associated with pain (which is often the case), is even harder. To keep up hope, belief of getting better one day, the determination, discipline and mostly love to life, which are to my opinion essentials for survival, it is an extremly hard job. And the journey is life long and very unpredictable.
Unfortunately, there is still a general belief in the world that cancer kills, which causes enormous fear. And fear is the one that usually kills, not cancer.
To top it all up, there is the conventional medicine with their statistics, which often cement the fear and take away hope in many cases. And so many people start believing they have a 'terminal' cancer, a year, or even just few months to live etc and before you know it they fall into the statistics and die.
But yet I wouldn't describe it as 'losing the battle'. I prefer to describe it as letting go, finding peace, which is what happens in either surviving or dying anyway. It is very often much easier to find peace in death and there is absolutely nothing negative about it.

I recently had a conversation with my mother-in-law. She (as well as most of the world) desperately wants the world to find the 'cure for cancer' and wonders why it hasn't happened yet. It's all in best intention.
The fantastically amazing good news is - there is a cure for cancer!
It is just that the common world doesn't see it or believe it, as it doesn't come in one little pill. And it never will! It is an extremly complex disease which can only be treated hollistically.
There is no easy way out. And it is extremly difficult to embrace such state, learn to love to live with it, take control and change your life accordingly.

So, yes, that's why I dislike the frases like 'battle and/or fight against cancer', because it's got absolutely nothing to do with that. It's all about acceptance, embrace and finally, love.

Wish me good luck!

1 comment:

  1. Buckets and buckets of good luck coming your way Tina! I admire your positive approach and have seen it before in those who survive their journey with cancer. Thanks for the Blog.
    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete