Thursday, February 23, 2012

Happy Birthday To Me

It was my birthday yesterday.
Celebrations have changed a lot since I've been living with cancer. Not only that my lifestyle and diet have changed (mostly vegan, sugar free, alcohol free... meaning no birthday cake nor birthday drinks), my mindset is different, too.
Looking few years back, I was quite devastated turning 30. I felt old, or perhaps, mature, an adult... I felt like I have hit the stage of life where there's no more excuses to be young and silly, but needing to get all serious about life, needing to know what I want, plan it all out - married, career, house by 34, kids by 36 etc
Little did I know....

After my first diagnosis and by the end of treatments, just a single thought of being 'trapped' in a mortgage almost made me sick. My motto has changed to 'I work to live' (definitely not live to work!). Life (to me) represented one holiday after another. Having one child seemed sufficient. I felt blessed not needing to plan bigger family and relieved not needing to feel 'guilty' to only have one child, since I had 'a good excuse'...
It's only now, 4 years later, that I catch myself thinking about why do I feel like I need an excuse? Or to explain myself to people I meet about:
  • having only one child
  • not owning a house
  • not drinking
  • not eating meat, dairy or sugar
  • having thin hair...

What is my problem? Why do I let myself be influenced by  the 'silent rules of society', when, on the other hand, I claim not to care what other people think about me...
Yes, although I feel like I am in a good place, I feel obliged needing to explain to people, somehow justify my life, my actions and my decisions...Why?
Even after spending most of the past year soul searching, focusing on my mental and emotional healing and spiritual growth, there are still so many parts of me that need to be looked into. No matter how good, content and confident I feel, there are still many complex, slightly unpleasant feelings arising, that I am willing to explore.
There is so much more to learn about who I am, what is my place? What is it, truly, that makes me and keeps me in that 'good place'? In a place, where the superficial norms of society loose their meaning and have no attachments, where I confidently meet and communicate to everyone around me without feeling any pressures whatsoever. Move ligthly, think and make decisions with absolute clarity and act completely and only from the depth of my heart and soul, regardless of my health condition or any superficial barriers I may carry in my mind.

As I turned 39, I honestly don't feel the age nor do I care about it. In fact, in many ways, I feel exactly the same I felt when I was in my 20s. But yet things are very much different. I am different.
Have I achieved what I was meaning to by this age? No.
Have I ever thought I would have had cancer twice in my thirties? Of course not.
Have I ever thought I wasn't going to eat meat, or drink alcohol or not have a piece of cake, not even on my birthday? Absolutely not.
Do I have any regrets? Not a single one!

So, there we are. The unpredictability of the fragile life... The changes we, humans, can make. The actions we take are enormous. The strength we carry inside is unimaginable. Getting older, wiser, to mature and to be willing to change, is extremely empowering.

And as I felt devastated turning 30, I now feel totally blessed to be here to be able to turn 39 and looking forward to 40 and 50 and 60... and 70 and ... oh my oh my, there will be the biggest party on the planet earth when I turn 80 in 2053!
No middle age crisis here, no botox, no collagen injections planned, nor face lifts or plastic surgery... I am embracing every single moment of getting older, just because I am well enough to be able to!

How about you?

1 comment:

  1. Such a beautiful, honest post. Thanks for sharing. It's sooo hard to break away from what is deemed acceptable in society....I struggle with it so much as well. At home I can shout about how much I don't care what people think but when I'm with friends/family I find myself giving excuses for the way I choose to live - crazy!
    xx

    ReplyDelete