Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Meltdown

I had a lovely weekend and felt good on a nice summery Monday morning. After dropping off my daughter at school, I needed to do a blood test, which is necessary a day prior my next round of chemotherapy. I had a 'chemo break' last week and was about to start the new (fourth) cycle. Each cycle consists of 3 rounds and 1 week break and I am to have 6 in total. So I am now midway. Great, the countdown begins.

Having chemo is not by any means a good thing. No matter how smooth or well tolerated chemo is, it is an extremely unpleasant experience. My chemo is an IV form and even though it only takes about 45 min to administer, it is not nice to say the least. You sit in a neon lit room of the clinic with many other cancer patients and do nothing but wait until it all flows through your veins. You also get some 'extras', either pills or shots for side effects. You are basically filled up with a variety of legal synthetic drugs.
4 years ago, all of the drugs made me extremely sick for the first 24 hours. In fact so sick, I couldn't share the room with anyone, not even with my daughter or any family member. I couldn't talk, eat, drink or do anything but curl up in bed, in the dark and try to sleep it off. Or else I would have been extremely nauseous.
This time around is much better. Different, newer drugs and much lighter immediate side effects. I feel tired, slightly light headed, looking pale, but still able to do all normal chores like picking up my girl from school and taking her to ballet class, having dinner etc. All good from that part.
But yet, it doesn't feel nowhere near pleasant. I would have never add chemo to my 'to do list'. Honestly, it absolutely sucks (excuse my language) and just the thought of it irritates me.

Anyhow, a day prior each chemo, I need a blood test for Doctor to see my blood and my organs (like kidneys) are well enough to handle the chemicals...
So off I went.
I started really disliking blood tests and needles generally. I've been having way too many over the past couple months. And I think my veins can tell. They seem to go on strike every time I enter the Pathology room, or the Vitamin C room, where I'm getting my weekly high doses of Vitamin C through IV. The nurses are having serious troubles finding my veins.
Yesterday morning, all bright and early, happened again. The nurse missed the vein twice. And it was painful. But more so, it was annoying me. All of a sudden I started feeling physically sick, I thought I was going to faint. I got very hot and covered in sweat. Almost shaky. All I wanted is to get out of there.
I had two nurses giving me attention, wanting to try again... But all I could do was walk out and skip the blood test. I had two band aids on both arms, caused by unsuccessful trials.
I felt physically sick and thought I would faint.
Mentally, I could feel the whole lot of unpleasant emotions arising... Stronger and stronger all the stuff started to come out of somewhere deep inside, right out through my body, to my mind and out of my eyes and through my mouth....
Just as I reached the car, the total meltdown began.

I phoned my man. Out came swear words galore, out came the tears pouring, out came 'why me's, 'not fair's, and more and more F words (*I am not the person who swears, ever, no F words nor similar are in my vocabulary).... They all just came out flooding. Out of, what seemed nowhere... But yet it all came from somewhere deep inside of me. It was a moment of unpleasant emotions and it came pouring out.

When we practice mindfulness, unpleasant emotions like anger, become just another emotion to respond to, not to live in. We learn to observe, not to react.
But yet I reacted. I reacted wholeheartedly, crying, yelling, swearing, almost abusing my innocent man on the phone.

And this is what I've learned:
Practice of mindfulness is a lengthy process and no matter how long you manage to stay in 'the good place', it is (unfortunately) not the destination, but a life long journey, which requires one step at a time. Many steps are easy, and get even easier with practice, as you get 'fitter'. You are walking straight line, flat, relaxed pace. Until all of a sudden, you reach an extremely steep hill, or a huge rock to climb, a fence to jump over, or a slippery wet part, or an icy cold patch, a dangerous curve or perhaps just a little sharp stone...
Each step you take is important.
It's not about trying to control the actual journey, but keeping the determination to stay on the path no matter what comes your way, keeping the pace comfortable, safe, accepting whatever comes your way, no matter how unpleasant the circumstances and emotions associated with experience are.

So I had a meltdown. A complete meltdown I have not expected to have. It all came out, which obviously had to, as it was there, somewhere. I felt much lighter afterwards.
And I didn't let the meltdown consume my whole existence. I didn't drag it on and on. It came all of a sudden, I let it all out, I was a bit surprised, shed few extra tears during the day and wondered where did it all come from? But I also sat down for half an hour, in peace and quite, practicing mindfulness meditation to calm my mind and gain some clarity, mostly on where and why did it all happen.
I didn't get the answer, but did calm down greatly. And I didn't continue trying to analyse it or catastrophise it or making up stories around and about it.
Although I am a complete beginner in the vastness of the mindfulness practice, I did notice a difference in dealing with the meltdown, comparing to my past, pre-cancer life. The best part is, I now feel much lighter and calmer. And yet again, I am at peace.

How about you? How do you deal with the meltdowns? How do you cross the obstacles? Would love to hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment